Suggestions for Renting in the United States

If you decide to rent in the U.S., you will likely be asked to fill out a form to apply to rent. This form will ask for items such as proof of employment and your social security number.

If you cannot prove that you are employed with a pay stub, a cosigner will need to help you. This is someone that is expected to pay your rent if you don’t have the money to do so. This is why the helpful immigration experts at USAFIS recommend that you save money before moving to the U.S.

In addition, the landlord may conduct a background check to see if you have paid your bills on time and what kind of credit score you have. USAFIS has helped thousands of individuals and families move to the United States, and finding a place to live is part of the process once you get moved to America.

Once your application is approved, you will be asked to sign a lease agreement. This is a legal document that guarantees that both you and the landlord will keep your end of the agreement. Most leases are for 1-2 years and will allow you to renew your lease after that time, sometimes with an increase in your rent.

control-427510_640Your lease may indicate how many people can live in the house or apartment and if you can have any pets. Contact USAFIS if you are considering moving to the United States to life, work, and study.

Everything related to the rental should be addressed, such as who pays for utilities, who pays for repairs, and what you are to do if there are problems.

You have rights, so don’t allow a landlord to take advantage of you. If you find that your landlord is not holding up his or her end of the lease contract, you can take them to court.

USAFIS works hard to ensure the success of every foreign national moving to the United States. Contact them today to learn how you can get started on your journey to the U.S.!

Leave a Comment